04 December, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust



So, last time I blogged I was saying how I'd fallen in love with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Well, I finished the last episode earlier this week.

Of course I cried.

The final five episodes tell one big story. I'm wondering at what point in production they knew it wouldn't get re-commissioned as it all dovetails towards a perfect ending. I kept trying to second-guess the endings to various storylines and didn't get any of them right, really.

I just hope this doesn't mean Aaron Sorkin will have any trouble getting a new show off the ground. In the meantime, that's me working my way through his back catalogue. This is, after all, the man whose adaptation of his own play made me watch - and enjoy - a film with Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson in leading roles. That's either good writing or witchcraft, and until I've worked out which, I'm on his side.

So, which TV show to binge on next? Well... in the short term, I'll be speed-watching 'Cracker' and 'Prime Suspect' as research for another 'talking head' thing I'm being interviewed for next week. Wonderfully grim Granadavision and two of the best police procedural shows ever. I prefer Prime Suspect, but only just. The show loses points for the two dire series that followed immediately after Lynda La Plante bailed, but makes up for them by concluding with two that were just as good as the first three.

No comments: