12 March, 2007

Trains and Trains and Trains

I have this theory that if you're travelling to work and look up every day at the same point to see which stop you're at, only to find you're still two stops away from your next interchange, then you're probably working too far away from home.

It's not a theory I'm going to bother testing exhaustively, or submit to peer review, but most days when I get on the Jubilee Line at London Bridge, I tend to look up to see if I've reached my destination only to find myself at Westminster. I've no massive desire to work in Westminster, but it's a damn sight closer than working at the wrong end of the Central Line.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have quite so many changes either; whichever route I take it'll mean three trains or two trains and a bus.

Lucky that, after a few years of increasing frustration and desperation over work, I'm now loving my job and the people I work with. And last Friday I learned that I'll be staying with this job until September. For various political reasons, it has to end there for the time being, but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to come back to it early next year (and I'll still be working for the same employer in the meantime, just on a different project).

So, while I don't like having to get three trains there and the same amount back, while I'm there I'm enjoying myself, which is a bit of a result.

No comments: