03 December, 2006

Doug

I have to be careful because, as I'm slowly discovering, the digital footprints we leave can come back to haunt us. It's how we trace bullies and monsters who use our forums to harrass and upset others as a means of gaining some form of personal validation. But it's also how people can follow me round the virtual world that I create around me.

So I've just deleted a long paragraph about my work situation because I cant run the risk of it being stumbled upon by someone who uses the site I work on.

I've been off a lot recently - two weeks of flu and then a week's leave that saw me visit my parents and extended family for the first time in months. The rest of the week has been spent slowly catching another cold, which is a bore. Last week, I learned third-hand that on my return to work, I'll probably be moving onto another project. It should be a superb move and one that I've been wanting for a long time. But I can't quite enjoy the chnge because of extenuating circumstances that I can't go into.

Shortly before I went on leave, we received some very distressing news. One of our colleagues, Doug, died on Wednesday, 22 November. My former colleague Martin goes into great detail about why this is so upsetting in his own blog.

It takes a lot of guts to work out which of your battles are worth fighting. When I return to work on Monday, I have a difficult decision to make. Or rather, I have a difficult decision to accept. And it involves a battle. It's one worth fighting, though it's not the one I imagined it would be. Just have to make sure I pick the right battle to fight, and fight it well.

No comments: